Thursday, July 14, 2005

Club Gitmo

I've been hearing about the "Club Gitmo" merchandise that Rush Limbaugh has been selling, but I didn't really pay any attention at first.

But with all the fuss about prisoner abuse, I couldn't help but notice. The Club Gitmo stuff pokes fun at the severity (or lack thereof) of being held in Guantanamo Bay. It turns out to not be as severe as has been claimed by the Bush-haters, who compared it to the holocaust or the killing fields of Cambodia. The IRCC and thousands of international journalists have had access to Gitmo and it's something less than a concentration camp. A lot less.

So Limbaugh started poking fun. The shirts and mugs, mostly in "institutional orange," have sayings printed on them such as:
  • I Got My Free Koran and Prayer Rug at G'itmo
  • What Happens in G'itmo Stays in G'itmo
  • My Mullah went to Club G'itmo and All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt
  • Club G'itmo: Your Tropical Retreat from the Stress of Jihad
If you're still offended, please try to recognize the humor here and please consider this examination of the topic. In fact, just surfing a blog like dinocrat.com for awhile may do you good. You may also want to consider the Gitmo Cookbook.

No comments: