Saturday, July 02, 2005

How Should We Live?

How should we live? "In such a way that we are well prepared to die," I read recently. I'm inclined to agree, whether our death comes soon or the Lord returns first. Peter says it this way,
But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.

Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness. So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him.
You better have your act together at all times. And in Christianity we realize that the only way to do that is to let God do it for you (trying to be "good enough" on your own is a surefire way to NOT have your act together).

4 comments:

Charles Stephens said...

I agree.

Thumper said...

Good to hear from you. God bless you in Illinois.

Curious Servant said...

I happened by and I thought I'd leave a note that I was here.

The Lord has had a few thing to say to me lately. Thanks for being there.

Mark said...

Hello. I am a Christian, and a conservative, and I am from Kansas City also. But I live in Maryland now.
I am leaving you a comment to invite you to visit my blog. I have a lot of things to say about politics, and current events, and God.
Ben Franklin once said, "We must all hang together or most assuredly, we will all hang seperately." For this reason I invite you to visit my blog. Be sure to read my July 2 comment: A Question.