Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Random Thoughts 7/05/05

  • I came home this afternoon to find my yard half torn up. My wife decided to tear out a dozen bushes around our porch and re-landscape the whole thing. So she did. And it looks really good. You've gotta shake your head. Who else could take care of three kids, cook three meals, go to Wal-Mart, do a dozen other things, AND landscape the yard?
  • It's pretty easy to get cynical about people. You hear complaints and whining, see apathy and disinterest, and you start to get jaded. But then someone comes along who is eager in the faith, gracious toward the shortcomings of others, and full of hope. I live for folks like that! Praise God for those of you who've been that for me in the last few weeks. I only hope I can give you as much encouragement in return.
  • I'll have a funeral to do Thursday. My heart breaks for families in their grief. At the same time, a minister rarely has a better opportunity to minister to people in a meaningful way and communicate the Gospel.
  • The Army is having serious recruiting problems this year. But the problem seems to be more perceived than real, affecting potential recruits more than soldiers in the field. The 3rd Infantry Division, in its second tour in Iraq, has passed its re-enlistment quota by 250%. That says a lot about the mission in Iraq.
  • Shannon and I watched the Day After this evening. That's the movie about the survivors of a nuclear war slowly dying in Lawrence, Ks. Even today, twenty years later, it is deeply disturbing. Not only do I remember the effect it had on me as a kid, but I actually remember when they filmed it. We saw the refugee camp under the bridge in Lawrence. If you get a chance, see this movie. Some people have described it as a civic duty to see this movie (kind of how I feel about Saving Private Ryan). But Lawrence and KC residents will recognize a lot of locations including the Liberty Memorial, Union Station, Allen Fieldhouse, Memorial Stadium, etc.

No comments: