Monday, November 07, 2005

Wrestling Dad

The boys and I wrestle in the living room on a daily basis. All I have to do is lay down on the carpet and, like ants to a picnic, three little boys come and jump on me.


All three boys are agressive and like to get thrown around. As you can see, they don't complain too much. I'll get all three on my back and then toss them off onto the couch. Brennan (5) will leap back onto me, standing on my back, and I'll whip him around, pin him to the floor and start tickling them. At that point Tanner and Elijah will come to the rescue, pushing me to the floor so that Brennan can escape. Tanner (almost 4) likes to go to the opposite end of the house and run through the hallway, through the kitchen and into the living room, slamming into me with abandon. They have free reign to get pretty rough with me.


We have a running joke that it's against the rules for the boys to ever lay a hand on each other unless they're saving each others' lives (drive for an hour in the car with them and you'll understand that). But in all seriousness, I'm always talking to the boys about being brave and fighting bad guys and helping people in need. I've stressed that good guys are honest and brave and helpful. There are few places in this world where they would learn what honor means, but in our house, I want character and integrity to be everyday lessons. Right now that means learning to tell the truth and to share… and to be very brave.

You have to be brave to wrestle big ol' dad.

UPDATE: Shannon went out and bought a little outfit for Graham to come home in. It's blue with a lion on it and the word "brave." He should fit right in with his three older brothers.

No comments: