Friday, March 23, 2007

Armed and Harmless

I have a sword hanging on the wall in my office, a Japanese Katana (pictured below) that I bought 13 years ago. Some may ask, "Preacher, why do you have a sword hanging on your wall?"

1) It's cool.
2) It's got historical connections.


I bought the sword, not in Japan, but while doing missionary work in the Philippines. The sword is not high quality – there are several inaccuracies in design and material – but as I was almost talking myself out of making the purchase, one of the missionaries said that these cheap knock-offs are made from the leaf springs of American World War 2 jeeps. This tidbit turned me around 180ยบ and I couldn't pay the $20 fast enough.

I wouldn't mind adding a few more historical swords to my collection:


An Egyptian Khopesh is a strangely shaped bronze sword that may have roots with the Sumerians (near Abraham and Lot's old neighborhood) and definitely has history with the Canaanites. It made its way to Egypt by the time of the Exodus and would have been the sword the Israelite slaves feared and, much later, Jeremiah warned about. Though I don't know for sure, I'd bet that many of the sword references in the Old Testament may refer to the Khopesh. The sword is sharp on the outer curve for slashing and has a notch which can be used to pull an enemy's shield down. But a well balanced Khopesh, like the one pictured above, could thrust as well.

Cost for a replica: $150


I've become kind of an aficionado of the Roman Gladius. It's the sword that conquered the world, was common in Jesus' time, and gave it's name to the gladiator. Unlike the slashing Katata and Khopesh, it's primarily a thrusting sword with a sharp point. It has a wood and bone hilt with a large pommel and the blade is double edged with no grooves, fuller or ricasso. The one pictured above is a "Mainz" style blade that's slightly wasp-waisted. I like how plain and simple the Gladius is, often the only decorations are on the scabbard.

Cost for a realistic replica: $200-300

When am I going to be willing to blow hundreds of dollars on wall hangings? Probably never. But for a history buff like me, it's always cool to window shop.

No comments: