Saturday, March 03, 2007

Movie Night

Christian films I've seen and recommend:

  • Passion of the Christ (2004) – A survey of Roman Catholic art brought to life. This is worth seeing if you can stomach it. If you want a more historical version of the crucifixion, I highly recommend Matthew (1997), with Bruce Marchiano as perhaps the best Jesus in the most historically (and scripturally) accurate Jesus movie I've ever seen. Remember though, any crucifixion scene worthy of its subject is gut-wrenching to watch.
  • The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe (2005) – The Narnia books are a cherished favorite of mine which I can't wait to share with my boys. The movie is generally faithful to the famous CS Lewis fantasy story and is worth watching, as long as you read the book first.
  • End of the Spear (2005) – Very well done story of commitment to evangelism, telling the true story of missionaries risking their lives to take the Gospel to native people. However good this story is, I still preferred the documentary on the same subject, Beyond the Gates of Splendor (2002).
  • To End All Wars (2001) – not technically a "Christian" film but written by Christians about Christians. This war movie is very well done, so if you're interested in World War 2 Japanese POW/death camps, this movie is a must see. It's the spiritual man's Bridge on the River Kwai.
  • Facing the Giants (2006) – This film snuck up on me. In spite several recommendations, I had no idea how good this movie would be. Not only is it one of the better Christian movies I've ever seen, it's one of the best football movies I've ever seen.
  • Lord of the Rings trilogy (2001-03) – Again, not exactly a "Christian" subject, but written by a Christian with overtly Christian themes and principles throughout the fantasy world JRR Tolkien created. As popular as these movies were, each grossing over a billion dollars, I don't think they can be fully appreciated without reading the books.


Christian films I've not seen yet (recent and upcoming):


The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (2008)
The Screwtape Letters (2008)
Amazing Grace (2007)
Nativity (2006)
One Night with the King (2006)
Flywheel (2003)

2 comments:

sugarbumkin said...

Be sure to check out 'The Second Chance.' You get to see Michael W. Smith act! (he's not bad at all!)

Anonymous said...

What about "Scarface"???