Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Random Thoughts 3/27/07

  • Frustration! I've been trying to attend an FPU class (Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University - the best church financial program, hands down). But three weeks in a row, I'm going to miss. The kids were sick, the church camp had a board meeting, and now MOPS has a steering team meeting and Shannon doesn't have child care for the kids. Oh well, I guess I don't mind. All of those other things are important too, and I've already taken the Dave Ramsey class and will attend them in the future too. I just wanted to be there to be supportive and I'm not getting that chance. C'est la vie.
  • I saw a neighbor outside this morning and gave a typical Kansan salutation, "Howdy." Howdy? He probably thinks I just fell of the turnip truck. Who am I, Jethro fishing in the cement pond? I winced when I said it because it just sounded so unpolished, but I'm actually fond of several American colloquialisms and witticisms. I like words and the history of words; it's just that "howdy" seemed a little inadequate for the moment.
  • In addition to monkeying around on the swing set, Brennan has taken to climbing door frames. He shimmies up to the ceiling, and today I walked under him and let him sit on my shoulders. The problem is that Brennan, more than the others, can find a way to hurt himself. "Don't worry, Mom, I'll break the fall with my face!"
  • We're hoping to see the musical Oklahoma with some friends from church this summer. We're making arrangements now, since we don't have tickets for the same day yet, but we're hoping to work it out. These friends are actually from Oklahoma and warned us that they might stand up and sing along during some parts. Well, if a couple of Kansans are willing to be seen with them, then we must love them an awful lot.
  • I've found that I can't buy most books any cheaper than I can at Walmart.com. Cheaper than Amazon, cheaper than Books-a-Million, cheaper than CBD, just plain cheap! We had a "special" deal from CBD the other day and found that the special, one day offer was still more expensive than the Wal-Mart's price (which included the shipping).

No comments: