Saturday, March 31, 2007

Strange Bedfellows

Marc Danziger, also known as "Armed Liberal," of Windsofchange.net has given us the biggest surprise we could have imagined. I've got to say I'm shocked. Pleasantly surprised, but shocked at the same time.

I'm a liberal Democrat (pro-gay marriage, pro-choice, pro-progressive taxation, pro-equal rights, pro-environmental regulation, pro-public schools) who supported and supports the war in Iraq. As I tell my liberal friends "Did I miss the part where it was progressive not to fight medieval religious fascists?"

I've been waiting for four years for the White House to start really explaining the war to the American people, and to do anything sensible at all to maintain the political capital necessary to keep America in the fight - to keep us from withdrawing because the war is too messy, or too long, or just plain makes us feel bad.......

I've given up, and decided that it's up to each of us to start doing more. To that end, I've decided to start a PAC that will offer support to Congressional candidates of either party who support a foreign policy that doesn't involve wishing problems away.

Just when I thought everybody was going to abandon the fight and go home, chastised against ever doing anything hard and messy again, no matter what's at stake… here comes a left-wing, secular progressive blogger to the rescue. God bless you, sir (no offense) and welcome to the fight.

I've always thought that many liberal ideas are wrapped up in self-centered concerns of how you might feel or how people might feel about you. Therefore in these situations the cure is be thoroughly convinced that something is so absolutely serious that it outweighs anyone's feelings.

Most of the really tough decisions in life require you to do something you'd rather not have to do. The mark of a mature adult is that they can bear that responsibility and do the right thing.

No comments: