Monday, May 07, 2007

My Four Amigos

The other day I taped Three Amigos (1986), a silly comedy I hadn't seen in several years but had renewed interest in because I had recently watched Seven Samurai (1954). Click here to read my comments on that classic movie.

The version I had taped was well-edited for content and I felt safe watching while the boys ran around. And sure enough they sat down and liked it! The boys are still at the stage where they hide their faces during a kiss, but they love the slapstick comedy. Tanner especially liked the musical scene with the animals and the scene with the singing bush and invisible swordsman. It was an unplanned occurrence of something I intend to do a lot in coming years, the "Altic Film School."

As the boys become mature enough, I'll introduce them to classic cinema (and literature). With all the mindless fluff out there they'll probably watch, there are certain movies (and books) that I want them to be exposed to and will watch with them. While they're young it will include classics like The Wizard of Oz (1939), The Sound of Music (1965), It's a Wonderful Life (1946), George C. Scott's version of A Christmas Carol (1984), and others. We tried a few months ago to get the boys to watch Treasure Island (1950) but they didn't like it near as much as the animated Treasure Planet (2002). Go figure.

As they get older (much older), war movies and serious dramas will be included as well as more difficult literature. I'm already collecting a good library of Shakespeare, JRR Tolkien, and CS Lewis with them in mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

no anything but the Sound of music it will drive them crazy. It did me. Mike