Thursday, September 25, 2008

Ship Him Out

I received a very flattering invitation today to speak at a men's retreat at a big church in Southeast Kansas. I would have done it in a heartbeat but they wanted me for two days next week, on my birthday, in the middle of my family's vacation.

I thought of how Shannon would react, and without hesitation, politely turned them down. How could I, after all, leave on an overnight business trip away from my family on my second week of vacation in three years? Of course, I shouldn't take it.

Then I called Shannon.

"Guess what, honey. I got an offer to speak at a retreat but it was during my vacation."

"You didn't turn them down, did you?"

"Uh, yeah. You'd be okay with that? I thought you'd kill me."

As it turns out, she was very understanding of my desire to preach and teach anywhere, anytime. In fact, I do have a longing to preach on October 5, if only there was a way to combine it with my family going somewhere. I just can't imagine sitting there in the pew not doing something to contribute.

That's what I ought to do, plan revivals and retreats near Disney World or Six Flags and I'll preach on Sunday mornings, whatever state I'm in. We'd be going to church anyway and I'd be fit to be tied otherwise.

So, anybody need a revivalist in Honolulu?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you call them back and accept their offer? There's always fun things to do anywhere you go! I'm sure there's SOMETHING in southeast Kansas or northeast Oklahoma!

love ya,
Mom

Thumper said...

Nope, I've been there. There is NOTHING to do in SE Kansas or NE Oklahoma.

Besides, I presume that they immediately filled that slot in their program.

Besides that, our Elders don't want me to work during this vacation.