Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Football Fantasies and Nightmares

  • The Chiefs finished 2-14. Wow, that's really, really bad. Most years that's bad enough for the first pick in the NFL draft the following April. But this year the Chiefs were outdone in their ineptitude by the 0-16 Detroit Lions and the 2-14 St. Louis Rams, who faced worse competition and still did that poorly. So the Lions pick first, then the Rams second, and the Chiefs pick third.
  • Chiefs Trivia: Who was the Assistant Head Coach of the Chiefs this season? Dick Curl. Really.
  • The Chiefs are 6-26 in the last two seasons, and 8-30 since winning on Thanksgiving Day 2006, one of the last times Kansas City was on national television. Here in KC, they haven't blacked out the games so we're still stuck watching the Chiefs flail about helplessly.
  • I won my fantasy football auction league. I drafted Michael Turner, Calvin Johnson, and Greg Jennings, along with a diverse supporting cast to win the league. The secret to my success? I kept forgetting about it. The auction league was my "second" league, so I kept forgetting to change my lineup, i.e. second-guess myself. I ended the season on a nine-game winning streak during which I made perhaps two or three lineup adjustments.
  • In my other league, my main fantasy football league, I finished 11-6 and made the playoffs on the strength of Jay Cutler, Calvin Johnson, TJ Houshmanzadeh, Matt Forte, and Brian Westbrook.
  • It looks like next year the NFL is moving the Pro Bowl to Miami and playing it the week before the Super Bowl. What?! I can't see how any of the players on those Super Bowl teams would dare to play in even a pretend football game just days before the biggest game of their lives. The NFL wants the Pro Bowl to be less anticlimactic. I'm not sure that's possible.
  • Chiefs Trivia: Which '08 Chiefs assistant coach severely broke his leg in one of the most famously gruesome Super Bowl injuries ever? Tim Krumrie, Bengals, Super Bowl XXIII.
  • KU plays in a Bowl Game for the second straight year… and I'll miss it. The game is on NFL network New Year's Eve. I'll be at the church at a lock-in and the church doesn't get that channel.
  • The NFL is finally talking about limiting rookie salaries. That's a good thing. Let that money go to proven veterans instead. The only drawback: a glut of underclassmen who will leave school early before the rule goes into effect a year or two from now.
  • Local talk radio callers are dreaming of Bill Cower or Bob Stoops being the next Chiefs coach. Sure. Why not hold out for Vince Lombardi to come back from the dead and be our coach. Then we'll get Johnny Unitas to throw to Don Hutson, with Jim Brown in the backfield. Somehow I doubt the Chiefs' new GM will pull off anything so grand. It's possible there could be a big splash but it's not likely.
  • There are rumors that Marty Schottenheimer may go back to the Cleveland Browns to coach. I'm still trying to figure out how San Diego ever fired him.

No comments: