Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Welcome to Football, Son

And just like that… they like football!

I had borrowed the Wii version of the Madden '09 video game from Jay-rod to try it out. [As long as you can trust your friends (and their kids?) to take care of your stuff, borrowing video games is a good way to see if you want to buy these games and possibly save yourself a lot of money.]

Well, to my surprise, Brennan and Tanner wanted to play. They don't even watch football! At times, I wonder if they can even identify football vs other sports. But the Wii version of this game has a feature called "All-Play" that simplifies the controls and a game mode which is a simple, backyard-style 5-on-5.

Brennan and Tanner ate it up. Sacks, interceptions, touchdowns, and fumbles rained down; they hooted and hollered, got mad and frustrated and did victory dances, all the while asking me for clarification on terms and rules. They learned more football in one hour than they did in seven years of me trying to get them interested in my favorite sport.

This begs the question: which sports/games have you learned solely by playing them virtually?

2 comments:

jayrod said...

For me it was hockey. NHL 97 on the computer in college, and I learned the rules and intricacies of the game. Because of all this, I'm a Pittsburgh Penguins fan and can sit and watch entire hockey games and enjoy myself greatly! (especially in HD)

Dustin said...

Tennis... Thanks to the Wii! And Alanna said golf.
-dustin