Thursday, December 11, 2008

Like Clockwork?

Apparently, youth ministers only apply for new jobs on Wednesdays.

Last week, about this time, I received three applications for the ministry position at our church and this morning I discovered two more. I was little disappointed not to receive anything at all last Friday and over the weekend and Monday and Tuesday – I was starting to wonder what was wrong – but obviously these things come in bunches in the middle of the week.

It's also been interesting to note that these applicants (and other interested parties) represent seven different states, from the Midwest to the East Coast. But none of them yet are from Kansas… hmm. I figured a percentage would be local but that hasn't shown itself yet.

I can't say that I'm very excited yet. None of them have looked like a home run at first blush (though that may be for lack of really knowing them; a couple do look pretty good) and that disappoints me because I want to be really excited. I guess that may still happen in time.

One hurdle that nearly every candidate will need to overcome is explaining their job history. If they were out of the ministry for any length of time – why? If they have served short tenures at previous churches – why? Two otherwise equally qualified ministers could be differentiated by their candid and transparent assessment of why their ministry didn't last in another location.

No comments: