Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Looking Deeper Than Qualifications

I received two more resumés today for our open youth minister position.

[sigh]

What I'm realizing is that the hiring process, at this point, isn't very satisfying. A few of these guys might be fantastic assets to the ministry here and wonderful additions to our church family… but I can't tell from most of their resumés.

How disappointing this whole process seems.

The reality is that we're not just hiring an employee. This is something more like taking applications for a new family member. How do you interview for a brother or a friend? There is necessarily an emotional aspect to this because this isn't just a job, it's an invitation to a set of relationships.

And more specifically, it's a an invitation to a partnership with me personally. I wonder how small business owners find a new partner to invest 50/50 in the family business? Not a mere employee but someone who is going to significantly contribute to the tone and atmosphere of everything I do. There's no resumé that tells me how much I can trust a guy.

[sigh]

No comments: