Monday, May 17, 2010

Going for a Ride

I rode my first non-commute today on my Bike, a quick 25-minute, five mile round trip to Wyandotte County Park and back. My iPhone's GPS tracks the ride and gives me a fairly accurate report on my speed and path, which you can see here.

The app I use is Cyclometer, which tracks the rides, manages routes, provides charts and maps, and even emails my wife when I arrive at my destination. The only problem I have is probably a limitation of the phone: the GPS doesn't accurately portray the elevation at all. The elevation graph misses the hills and valleys completely, but the speed graph seems right on.

Google maps recently added bicycle routes to its features. The map of Wyandotte County doesn't show a lot of bicycle paths or bicycle friendly roads but there are still some good options.

No comments: