Saturday, January 28, 2006

Introduced to Jesus?

In an interview with Christianity Today (p74, December, 2005), journalist Patricia Raybon talks about her daughters. Raised in a Christian home, one daughter became pregnant out of wedlock and the other converted to Islam. When asked what kind of home life they had she answers,

"[We went] to church every Sunday. For my girls, that meant youth activities, choir, that whole profile. Clearly, I wasn't introducing my children to Jesus. Once you know him, you don't walk away from him. What I introduced them to was institutional church, to organized activities under the roof of a church. Whatever I did, I thought I was doing the right thing. It did not turn out that way."

I'm amazed at her honesty. I've met countless parents who refuse to be held accountable for how their kids turned out, after all, they took them to church each week. Yet this concerned mother not only acknowledges it but correctly diagnoses it. Church doesn't change or heal people. Church doesn't breathe life into your soul. Jesus Christ does.

No comments: