Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Quick Hits 1/17/06

  • Here's the new Macintosh commercial introducing the new Macs with an Intel processor inside. Here's a link to probably the best, and most inspirational, Mac commercial of all time.
  • Don't forget the movie End of the Spear is coming to theaters January 20.
  • Yikes, can they say that? Hillary race-baits the GOP saying they run a plantation and the New Orleans mayor says his town will be "chocolate" again. I'm fairly sure that if a Republican made either of these statements, or anything like them, they would be run out of town on a rail.
  • I can't wait for the Oscars [insert eye-rolling here]. The Golden Globes were mostly predictable with a good portion of the winners representing particular social and political agendas, especially Paradise Now, a movie to help you "understand" suicide bombers. I'm sure that movies like Brokeback Mountain and actors like George Clooney will likewise do well with the Academy. Reminds me of this classic poster.

  • Here's a glimmer of hope for you Firefly fans out there. By the way, did you know Joss Whedon is a third generation tv writer, writing for Roseanne, and creating the first Toy Story movie, Titan AE, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer? You can't pigeon-hole this guy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow are you kind of one-sided politically for a preacher? You seem to degrade some actors for their beliefs. Do we not have the right to free speech no matter what we believe is right? Do you really feel this is how a preacher should act? If George Clooney attended your chuch would you treat him differently? Do you think he has less a chance to get into heaven since he doesn't believe what you believe? That post is a joke.

Thumper said...

[I'll post what you said so that everyone can see it. I'm cool with that.]

Thanks for commenting. YOU'RE BANNED FROM MY BLOG!!! Just kidding.

I hardly "degraded" Clooney. I (indirectly, by way of a funny cartoon) called him a moron. He's a big boy, he can take it. He's a great actor (I loved Oh Brother…) but he keeps displaying his ignorance when he comments on politics – to the point of hurting our troops. If you don't believe me ask them, I have. The far left is over represented in Hollywood and has been for 50 years or more. It's nothing new. But that doesn't mean we have to like it.

What gets me is how you seem awfully intolerant of my right to express myself. Don't I have free speech too?

But that's just it, I don't think you do feel I have the right to speak on this because I'm a preacher. Preachers should be non-threatening, white-haired, permissive grandfather-types. You know , kind of like God – all love, no teeth.

That's where we really disagree. I believe that my job is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. If I don't get under your skin or step on your toes at least a little… I'm not doing my job.

Now go ahead, ask me why!

Anonymous said...

Out of complete curiosity, tell me why you prefer a Mac? What is it about the PC that you don't like?

Thumper said...

The difference between the Mac operating system and most any other OS (like Windows) is a simple matter what approach you take to usability.

The typical interface is simple and straightforward. Which is good until an actual user comes along. We click in the wrong place and make mistakes and then we realize that it's hard to use. The designers then must examine this after the fact and try to fix it. This is called "usability by evaluation". Every product needs it but it's not the only way.

Apple as a company designs their products with "usability by principles" in mind. This means they decide ahead of time what is desirable and who will use it. This makes the interface more user friendly, more robust (idiot proof), and more fun.

Apple designs for the user and not for the technician. This means some experts won't like it, especially those whose livlihood depends on the regular folks needing their assistance.

Using a Mac for me means:

More independence, less hassle; I'm free to do my thing, not what the programmer should have done already.
Better aesthetics prompts creativity.
Fewer and less severe learning curves.
The empowerment of being on the cutting edge of design.
The satisfaction of not following the herd.

You couldn't pay me to use Windows.