Monday, June 19, 2006

Camp Report

We had a really good week at Junior High church camp last week. It was a small week, with just less than 40 campers but it was good.

To start with, the kids were incredible. At the first meal, the staff looked around and asked, "Where are the kids?" They were outside, waiting quietly in line! And no one even asked them to do that; they just did! It only got better after that. For junior high, they were mature and polite and fairly well behaved. And yet somehow, we still had some standouts – some of those kids were dynamite! I'm especially proud of the kids from my church: Britney, Paige, and Matthew. What great kids!

I was dean for the first time (at a Junior High camp anyway) and it wasn't that bad. I don't think it is as much fun being the "responsible one" at camp but if you delegate enough tasks to your staff, they get to play "authority figure" for a few moments and you get to chill out for a minute. That helps a lot.

We went bowling in Hiawatha, where I bowled a 122 (I try not to make the kids feel bad, you know). We also went swimming, played a ton of games and sports, and generally had a blast. The kids seemed to really enjoy themselves and I think the staff did as well. Of course, we had classes, memory work, campfires, and chapel (I did the preaching too), and several kids made decisions this week, including four baptisms and several rededications.

Overall, I'm eager to go back in July and eager for next year as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jared-
It's so awesome to think you were 'The Dean' of camp. Alot of my fondest summer memories are of Mission Lake. Keep up the good work!
Courtney