Monday, June 05, 2006

The Willies

I was sitting here in my office (my chair is kind of in the far corner of the room) and suddenly, up the wall beside me, runs this huge cockroach! I mean Florida-swamp sized, big as your pinky finger BIG! Blech!

I shot out of my chair with a sudden rush of both adrenaline and complete disgust. It's funny really, house flies are by far more unclean, spreading disease and filfth, while other roach-like insects like box elder bugs or fireflies are not very goosebump inducing at all. But when you see a cockroach, it's all you can do to get both angry and mildly nauseated at the same time.

This was the first roach I've ever seen in our new building (the old building had roaches, mice, wasps, snakes, and every variety of spider), so I hunted him down with a fly swatter and beat him into oblivion.

I'm still a little gunshy and I keep imagining that I see movement out of the corner of my eye. I may not be at ease for awhile.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Okay, you know your missionary cousin can't leave this one alone. One measly cockroach? Please. Try having one crawl up your leg while you use the bathroom in the middle of the night (I turn the light on now). Or what about triantulas? (Brooklyn actually kills those for me) And the poisonous snake slithering through the hangar... And that disgusting 6-inch centipede. Those are the creatures we can see - just imagine what else is out there!! So, when are you coming to see us? :)
-Becca

Anonymous said...

I bet you'll think twice before complaining about any of your bug problems, now that you've been reminded that you have jungle missionaries reading your blog!! I think they've got you beat no matter what you find in your office.

Thumper said...

Speaking of annoying pests that I often find in my office…

…just kidding.

Sorta.

No really.

Anonymous said...

Now boys, be nice! (although it was kinda funny!)

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I went back and read these comments, I didn't read this until just today.

So... Maybe I shouldn't have gone back. I'm obviously unloved, but didn't need to know it!