Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Random Thoughts 6/6/06

  • This is the 62 anniversary of Operation Overlord, the invasion of Normandy, France. My grandfather came ashore among the follow up forces in the weeks after D-Day. He was a Staff Sergeant in the 28th Cavalry Squadron, in Patton's Third Army.
  • The date today is 6/6/6. I'm trembling with fear as I write this (not really). But as a public service announcement, if the Anti-Christ comes to your door today wanting to tattoo a bar code on your forward, politely decline.
  • I'd always heard of my grandparents having card parties with their friends. Well, I guess we're doing that now too. We played a twelve seat, two table tournament Sunday night at our house with friends from church. Dustin and I made the top six but eventually lost to Cordell H., the young cadet from West Point. Cordell was on leave for nine days and returned to duty this morning, so we "let" him win. ;-)
  • The Big 12 announced that they are going to hold the 2008 Big 12 Men's basketball tournament in Kansas City at the new Sprint Center. The Sprint Center is currently under construction but is supposed to open next year. Kansas City wants to become the permanent home to this event, but that's yet to be seen.
  • Tony Gonzalez wants a contract extension and he wants it now. "I don't want to get to free-agency," Gonzalez said. "I don't even want to be faced with that decision. Because right now I don't want to leave Kansas City. I want to stay here, I want to finish my career here. This is where it started. I don't want to wait till I'm 31 to get a new deal." It's just nice to hear a professional athlete say that about our town.
  • I got my new laptop today. More on that later.

No comments: