Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Honda, Heal Thyself

My bedraggled '94 Honda has decided to fix itself.

I wrote earlier: "Do you remember the commercial where the guy welds shut the hood of his vehicle because it's so dependable? Well, I'm like that with my car… except I don't know how to weld… so I just pretend that I can't open it."

Well, the poor thing has reached a degree of frustration with me that's resulted in the car repairing itself. Not only is it inexplicably still running after all of the neglect it has endured but a couple of years ago the odometer quit working and now it works again. Also, I was calling the car "Blinky" because the left blinker wouldn't turn off, now just a week or so later it only clicks at me once in a while. Proving the old adage that if you ignore mechanical problems long enough, they eventually go away.

Now if only I could get the dents and rust to heal.

In all seriousness, if something ever did happen to that car, I think I'd look for midsized truck. We had a little red pickup before we the boys were born and we really miss it. Since the kids almost never ride in my car, the back seat has become somewhat unnecessary. We hate to borrow trucks from friends and family, so we might give a truck some serious consideration.

I've read a little about the Dodge Dakota, Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, Chevy Colorado, Ford Ranger, etc. That's about the size of truck I'll be looking at. If you have any suggestions or feedback, let me know – but I'm just in the research mode until Blinky passes away and that could be years from now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jared, We have a Ford Ranger you can HAVE if you can use your powers you heal the transmission :)