Wednesday, December 06, 2006

No Greater Love, Part 2

I don't normally post entire articles from other sources, but here's an interesting update to the Medal of Honor issue – the issue being that it's not being issued. Here's my previous post and thanks again to the Fayetteville Observer and the author, Joseph Kinney.

I remember so clearly how it began. I was reading e-mails when I stumbled across the story of Brian Chontosh. Doug Smith, a Pinehurst resident and good friend, had sent it to me. I read how Chontosh, a young Marine officer, had single-handedly killed dozens of Iraqi insurgents when his platoon had been ambushed. My Marine Corps pride rose with each word. I allowed myself to think that the story would end with Chontosh getting the Medal of Honor. It didn’t.

God challenges us to take up the challenge of injustice. In reading about Chontosh, I felt an injustice had been done, one I wanted to address. For the past two years, I have been writing essays about our brave soldiers, only hoping that the day would come when I could make a difference for the brave young men and women who serve this nation.

I just didn’t think I would be led to a hearing before the U.S. Congress.

Today, I will testify before the House Armed Services Committee in Washington. My statement is more than words; it is my heartfelt appreciation for every man and woman who wears the uniform. While I am advocating the Medal of Honor for a few, I am really paying tribute for all from the lowliest private to the highest-ranking general.

The hand of God has been with me through this process. I was led to friendship with many Pinehurst friends — including Richard Gesswein, Ralph Jacobson, Richard Kruse, Laud Pitt, Larry Ellis, Rudy Breighner, Dick Curl, Sam Sayers, Ron Base and so many more too numerous to mention. These individuals are all veterans with wisdom and patience.

Without question, Jack Cox, the longtime mayor of Fort Bragg, was always there with an encouraging word. God has given Jack the gift of caring and it shows throughout his life in all that he does. Jack has been in combat and knows what being a warrior is truly about. It is no accident that he has a son in Iraq today.

For the past two years, I have learned three things:

• While one person can make a difference, two or more is better. There is strength in numbers.
• The opportunity to write about service people who do so much for this country can be inspiring. I have been blessed for this effort in ways I cannot put into words.
• God matters. I have learned that the Faith of Our Fathers is so very important for me. For so long, I felt betrayed by God when he was just getting me ready for the big challenges of life.

At the hearing, I will see Pentagon leaders who are willing to wait 900 days after a young person has died saving others to grant a long-deserved Medal of Honor to family members. These Pentagon staff members actually believe that they are preserving the sanctity of the Medal of Honor by delay. I can assure you that there is not one word of information that they learned past the first week regarding the heroic action that took place. What more do they need?

The loving parents of our heroes, I dare believe, should know that their son or daughter was a hero when they are buried.

Unfortunately for the Pentagon leaders, they will have to hear me first. From me, they will hear:

The history of the Medal of Honor is such that it has been awarded in close proximity to the time of the heroic action. Numerous warriors from the War on Terror have been unfairly denied the Medal of Honor and several decisions should be reversed while consideration for others should be speeded up. It is in the interest of an effective military and proud nation that the awards process be hastened. We are a nation that has been at its best when we have had heroes to hold up to inspire and embolden this great nation.

Throughout history, the requirements for the Medal of Honor have been consistent. The president and Congress expect that the recipients have conducted themselves courageously in a manner that saves lives and can be attested to by two individuals. In World War II, it was commonplace for servicemen to receive a Medal of Honor within a week of their heroic action.

I have more than a few butterflies in my stomach as this hearing draws near. Will I be able to dive off the high board? I don’t know what will happen, but you can be sure that I will bow my head and pray for the best. And as I steady my nerves, I will envision the faces of brave kids who deserve more than what we have given them. God will do all the rest.

Joseph A. Kinney is a member of the Observer’s Community Advisory Board, which meets regularly with the editorial board to discuss local issues and contributes op-ed columns. He is a decorated Marine who lives in Pinehurst.

No comments: