Thursday, December 21, 2006

Baroque Music

If you're a music geek, you'll appreciate this comedian's rant against Pachelbel's Canon in D. The tune is following him everywhere to torture him and appears in such diverse places as Graduation (Vitamin C); Cryin (Aerosmith); One Tin Soldier (Original Caste); Hook (Blues Traveler); Basket Case (Green Day); Push (Matchbox 20); Good (Better than Ezra); Machinehead (Bush); With or Without You (U2); Torn (Natalie Imbruglia); Sk8ter Boi (Avril Lavigne); We're Not Gonna Take It (Twisted Sister); the theme from the TV Show Lavern & Shirley; No Woman No Cry (Bob Marley); and Let It Be (The Beatles).

I find it amazing that all of those songs use the same chords and, listening to them on iTunes, some of them are shamelessly using the exact same melodies. That's so funny! I'm not sure if I should be offended that the Beatles and U2 "borrowed" a public domain melody or be pleasantly surprised that Twisted Sister and Bob Marley knew who Pachelbel is.

--

Sensitive Ears Warning: It's really funny, but I'm not going to post it directly on my blog because the comedian uses three bad words in the five minute video. There's not any seriously foul language – in fact it's nothing I haven't heard church people slip and say – but I'm not going to host a video that uses bad words gratuitously. So now you've been warned, I don't condone it, and you can skip it if you choose.

No comments: