Wednesday, January 16, 2008

More Air for Apple

I'm such a computer nerd. Gadgets fascinate me and I'm nuts about almost everything Apple does. Here's a few notes on Apple's announcements this week:

  • Apple sells 20,000 iPhones per day. In less than a year, the iPhone is already almost 20% of the smart-phone market, second only to the Blackberry.
  • Over 4 billion songs have been sold digitally through iTunes. A record was set last Christmas with 20 million songs downloaded in one 24 hour period. I've only purchased a handful of songs through iTunes in the last few years, but I can see why people love this approach to buying music.
  • 125 million television shows have been sold through iTunes. Now, that's just not for me. I can't picture myself buying a TV show. Perhaps they should make TV shows rent-able…
  • With iTunes, you can now rent movies to watch on your computer for as little as $3. You just have to watch it within 30 days. I think I would be much more likely to do this than to buy a movie.
  • 20% of Mac users have upgraded to 10.5 (Leopard). I'm not one of them… yet.
  • The new MacBook Air can install software off of a CD running in another computer. That's really pretty cool – a computer designed to be almost completely wireless – but I'm easily impressed. That said, the Air is not the laptop for me. It seems like a step in the right direction that a lot of people will go gaga over but I have a MacBook and it's been fantastic for me, thanks.

I intend to make my current cell phone last as long as possible, as I've had it for 18 months and it's in great shape. But in the next year or so, I'll be forced to do something and I'll strongly consider an iPhone. The cost is still prohibitive (to me) and I'm not an AT&T wireless customer, so we'll have to see what's best for my family's needs. I just want to hold out until the iPhone becomes a more feasible option for me.

As for computers, our eMac at home has been wonderful the last few years. Everybody but Graham uses it and he's not far off. We'll make it last a few more years and replace it with another cheap and simple desktop option (Mac, of course). My laptop belongs to the church and is an essential tool for everything I do. Since the church pays for it, I try to make those laptops last as long as possible (four to six years). So it should be a few years yet before I'll need to worry about a replacement.

No comments: