Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Sight Unseen

The Oscar nominees were announced yesterday and, for the second or third year in a row, I've seen almost none of the nominees. In fact, counting technical awards, I've only seen four of the films nominated (58 total). I haven't seen any of the best picture nominees (again).

Maybe lack of familiar films stands out more this time because I've seen dozens of "best picture" films in just the last six months. It also stands out because I have little or no desire to see most of this dreck. Many of the films popular with the Academy are popular more because of a message or agenda the Academy likes than the film's actual artistic or technical merit. I mean really, Inconvenient Truth? It was a lecture… by Al Gore. C'mon!

Besides, it's hard to get excited about a list that includes such instant classics as Norbit, Surf's Up, Transformers, and the latest Michael Moore documentary. On the other hand, Ratatouille scored five nominations, which I appreciate – more Pixar films in the world would be a good thing.

I'm sure I'll be filling in some of the gaps on this list in coming years. Other films will disappear and be forgotten and I'll have saved two hours by missing them in the first place.

4 comments:

another71.com said...

"No Country For Old Men" is a very good film. It's violent, but I don't recall a lot of swearing or any adult situations.

You'll be thinking about it for a few days after you see it.

Anonymous said...

You need to go to the movies sometime! If you have only seen 4 out of 58 movies then you definetely need a movie night! For crying out loud I'll watch your kids if I have to.

Chad

Anonymous said...

Watch out Chad, I may take you up on that! Do you really think you can handle our beautiful maniacs as well as a crazed beagle? We go out 3 times a year, his birthday, my birthday, and our anniversary. Every once in a while (like today) my momma will come and we'll get to go see a movie just because. YAY! I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Well it would be simple. I would bring my wife, my dog, & my old football helmet. I think my wife could help me round up the kids, my dog could keep you dog in line, and my football helmet would keep me safe from the "beautiful maniacs".

Chad