Friday, March 07, 2008

Inseparable

For the first time, according to this study, Americans feel they need their cell phones more than their land lines. Specifically, the poll asked which technology you would have hard time giving up? Cell phones were ranked number one followed by the internet, television and finally land line telephones.

The poll also found that 31% cell phone owners send text messages in a given day (most of which are sent to my wife). 15% use their phone's camera every day, and folks who use their phone for games and email are about 8% each.

I've begun using my cell phone more and more and have it with me around the clock. I don't use the camera but I occasionally text message. I also use it as my alarm clock when I travel. It would be hard to part with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For budget purposes (i.e. Debt Snowball), we canned our cell phones ($60+ a month savings) and our cable/satellite tv ($70+ a month savings).

We've gone without both for over a year now and while it was weird at first, we don't miss either of them.

The only time a cell phone would be nice is when we go on road trips, but we often borrow my mom's or something for a weekend trip in case we need it. The nature of my job doesn't require a lot of traveling or running around town so I can easily be reached at work. If I were in ministry or sales or something and calling on people, that would be different.

As far as tv goes, the hardest thing is being "weened" from the DVR. We have Netflix instead and can watch a lot of shows online or in dvd format. NBC, ABC, etc. have most of their shows free online anyway.

A nice byproduct of dumping cable is that we don't feel like we "need" to watch tv because we pay for it. As a result, Josie reads 1-2 books a week and I study a lot more.

Like I said - after awhile, you don't miss it. We went from Time Warner's package of 300 channels, 10 HBOs, HBO On Demand, and DVR to "rabbit ears". If we can do it - anyone can.

That debt snowball will be gone by September. FREEDOM!!!