Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Last Nine

There are only nine surviving participants from World War 1. See the list here. Aged 106 to 111 and representing six different countries (including one American), these nine are the last ones to see a war that ended 90 years ago this November.

The centennial of the war's beginning is just six years away and it should be a powerful and very educational time. I know my boys will be reading and watching a lot about World War 1 as that time draws near. I've been collecting books (and a short list of great WW1 movies) that I want them to be exposed to.

In fact I just last week picked up a book on combat stories from WW1 American fliers. I've not read it yet but after a brief skimming, it looks interesting – almost a day by day account of the fledgling American air force.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Century of Warfare Video collection is an awsome watch, even for 8-11 year olds. Let me know if you want to borrow it after this semesters studies.
Jane D.