Thursday, July 23, 2009

Change is Hard on Little Guys

My five year old stood in my office door, looked at the neighboring office where our new youth minister has moved in and asked, "When [my friends] come back, can their daddy have his office back?"

"No honey, they're not coming back."

"[My friend] said they're coming back for Brennan's birthday."

"They might come for a visit, but they're not coming to stay. They have a new home now, far away."

His big brown eyes searched the ceiling for understanding, "Oh."

My heart broke at the defeated, lonely sound of his little voice. How do you help a five year old understand that friends move away and don't come back? That's just life, isn't it?

3 comments:

Dustin said...

We just tell our kids they got eaten by zombies... That avoids the whole "coming back to visit" conversation, and it keeps them in their beds at night. Double bonus.

Unknown said...

Dustin, You make me giggle.

Laura said...

Dustin we didn't get eaten by zombies.... well Jarod did but I didn't! :-) So would it scare your kids if you tell them that and then we come back to visit?