Thursday, July 09, 2009

Finally, an iPhone

Since January 9, 2007, over two and half years ago, I've wanted an iPhone.

This week, after countless hours of research, Shannon and I switched to AT&T and got iPhones. I'm really happy about it all. The camera, address book, calendar, threaded messaging, maps, etc. combined with the phone itself is all really impressive.

I'm not as concerned with the games and what not, but the super-PDA, blackberry-ish quality to the iPhone seems irreplaceable once you start using it. So far my favorite app, and the only one I've spent money on, is Grocery Gadget. It builds a grocery list that updates live on both phones. So if I'm at the store, purchasing items at the list, then the list changes on Shannon's phone. Very nice.

My only hesitation with the iPhones is that some people place too much importance on them as status symbols. I don't want to draw attention to it, or brag or boast. I just think the iPhone is a neat, useful gadget, not an attention-getting device. I've been reluctant to even blog about the iPhones, even though they're really cool and we're really enjoying them.

I almost feel apologetic about having an iPhone, even though we planned and waited for so long. Am I crazy or does anyone else feel like this?

2 comments:

Dustin said...

Ya know, before I got an iPhone, I always thought it was neat to see somebody with one. I was anxious to tell friends and family that I got one, but then I was self-conscious having up to my ear in public, especially at first. Now that I've had it a couple weeks, it feels normal. It's not so bad now, but I still feel the need to tell people that I didn't buy the phone myself, but my work did. If I were you, I would definitely not care, especially since you were patient and waited and bought it with money from the sale of other items.

Btw, download "Showtimes", "i.TV", and "Wikipanion", all good resources. Also, "TiltMeter" and "Units".

Mindy Jo said...

I feel the same way Jared. I have wanted one since they came out, but got a blackberry instead. I saved and thought about getting one and after contemplation and my husband saying...you're contract is up July 12th, so we're getting you an iPhone that day, I went and got one yesterday and so far...I love it! I tell people that I didn't get it to "be cool", I was already cool. :0) haha, okay, so I'm not that cool, but I just got it because I wanted it. I've always had the latest gadet since I started college and this time I waited quite awhile before I jumped on getting this one. Yay!