Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Gettin' S'phisticated

I'm trying to ratchet up the quality of my pastime.

Of course, I could just flip on a sitcom or one-hour drama on tv and veg out. But I can aim a little higher… at least part of the time. So I decided that I would start reading Shakespeare.

Arden Hamlet

That's easier said than done. I've only read three or four plays in school and that seemed a bit of chore at the time. But then I happened upon a copy of Hamlet, published by Arden, at a used book store. I was immediately taken by the footnotes and now I won't read Shakespeare in any other form.

Arden Shrew

I'm currently working on The Taming of the Shrew. I had to swear up and down to my wife this had nothing to do with her. But it does have some interesting thoughts on marriage. Maybe more on that later.

No comments: