Friday, February 25, 2005

The Time We're Given

You only have so much time in life and you better start making choices about what you'll spend your time on. You can only be good at just so many things.

I always use the example of golf. It's an activity I'd like to learn and I know I'd love it. I also know that it would consume a lot of time. But at this stage in life I have these precious little boys, a lovely wife, and this awesome (but incredibly time consuming) calling to ministry. So I only do two things in life, my ministry and my family. That means no golf for me.

I wish I could say that means I do both of them perfectly. I don't. Every week I look back at both areas and wish I'd done something differently. But at least I don't look back and see that I did nothing. I spent time on what's important and I learned how to do it just a little better. If I had sacrificed that time, it would be lost forever.

I worry about those who are mortgaging their present for a future payoff, i.e. "I'll work now and have extra time later." Sorry. That lie never pays off. Those people who "succeed" always find themselves in catch-up mode, shocked by how disconnected they've become. CEOs retire early to "spend more time with their family," which is code for picking up the pieces at home. If anything's left at all.

Today I had the day off. I wrestled my boys in the morning, took my wife out for lunch, worked in the yard with my little helpers trailing behind me, watched a sad movie with the love of my life, and tickled my kids 'til they were red in the face before I tucked them into bed. That's a good day.

No comments: