Saturday, February 26, 2005

Letters from SSG Dan, Part 4

More letters from SSG Dan to his wife. Sherrie notes: If anyone has the time and can write to some of these guys, that would be great. I personally cannot imagine what it would be like to be 7000 miles from home and have no correspondence from anyone. Well, Danny and I want to thank everyone for your faithfulness in praying for these people. I know God hears and our men feel it. Love you all, Sherrie


January 16, 2005
Taji, Iraq

I got your letter yesterday and it is always the best part of my day when I hear from you. We left… for a mission to Al Asad and didn’t get back until [morning]. I slept part of the day, then got up, ate, cold sponge bath, and back to bed. We are going back to Al Asad tonight and probably won’t be back for [awhile]. It’s been really hectic around here.

I read a book called A Man Called Peter about Peter Marshall, the senate chaplain. It really made me think of us. If you get a chance, read that book. I know you would like it. (My pen keeps skipping.) No word on our leave dates yet. I told them it didn’t matter much to me, because some of the guys have kids graduating and babies being born. I hope to come home while you are out of school, but I’m not sure that will happen. I really look forward to coming home. I will probably get April or May or later in August or Sept. We will make that our goal: to look to that date and not worry too much about the rest of my tour. Who knows? Maybe the war will be over in August and everyone will get to come home. [Sherrie notes: He says these kinds of things so I won’t get too discouraged and always have hope it will end sooner than expected. I know his game though.]

I am watching the 1072nd load up their trucks for the trip down to Kuwait. They are leaving tomorrow and they are really happy!! I can’t wait until it’s our turn to head south. Well, I really don’t know what to write about. Our missions are interesting, but I’m not supposed to go into detail in case our mail gets intercepted. I thought of a few more things you could send me. A fishing pole and a small box with jigs and small spoons and spinners and a few hooks. I understand there are some lakes near the airport that have fish in them. Well, I’ll sign off for now.

P.S. Send pictures and fishing magazines
P.S.S. Tell Mary that one of my soldiers got a letter from her and he was so proud of that. He read it to everyone! Thanks Mary!
P.S.S.S. Keep praying for us!

January 16, 2005
Taji, Iraq

I have a few minutes so I thought I’d write a few lines. I’m kind of blue today and it helps to think of you. I’ve been trying to buy a used TV, but have had no luck. If I don’t find one soon, I guess I’ll buy one at the PX. I feel guilty that I’ve spent so much money on this deployment. I’ve bought CB radios, GPS’s, batteries, flashlights, and on and on. Every mission I go through about 15 or 20 batteries. I run my little E-TREX to map my routes and find grids and I use my RHINO for the 2-way radio and to check grids and mileage. I’m primarily the navigator on the missions I’ve been on so far. I don’t know what we would do without this stuff. It keeps us from getting lost. We drive at night most of the time and some of our roads are dirt roads that you can barely see. I went to the intel briefing. Before every mission they have an intel brief to tell us what routes are closed and where there have been attacks or IED’s (improvised explosive devices) We just try to be a little more aware in those areas.

[Jared notes: the Pentagon announced this week that IED attacks are becoming less effective if not less common. Instead of 90% causing casualties, it's more like 25%.]

January 19, 2005
Taji, Iraq

It was so great to talk to you yesterday. I really don’t mind driving 200 miles through Baghdad, Fallujah, Ramadi, and out across the desert through enemy territory, mines, IED’s, mortar attacks, small arms fire, and RPG’s if I can call you on the phone without waiting in line! I’ll bet there is not another person in all the world who would do all that just to talk to you on the phone! We made it back safely from Taji [earlier]. I got some mail from Anita, Melissa, Judy and the padded envelope from you. I’ve got to figure out some system for remembering who sends me what and when. My days and nights are all running together and I’m having trouble remembering things.

January 23, 2005
Taji, Iraq

These last few days have gone by in such a blur, I’m not sure what day it is. When I called you from BIAP (Baghdad International Airport) I asked for your prayers for my return. We didn’t have any incidents and got back safely… [Sherrie notes: Danny has said that they have been shot at before]. Thank you for the prayers.

I got back to my bed by 1am on Saturday and I didn’t have any mail. I was really expecting some, so I was kind of disappointed. I went to bed and when I woke up, I had a package and some letters!! IT WAS SO GREAT!! Candy, magazines, movies, etc. Then yesterday, I got another package, more letters, a fruit cake and some cashews. I’m so afraid I’ll not answer all my mail and someone will be hurt. Please tell every one thanks for writing and I’m not sure if I’ll be able to answer them all. I’ll do my best, but we are so busy and my days and nights are running together.

January 23, 2005
Taji, Iraq

It rained all day yesterday and all night last night. Our electricity went out and it is COLD in our barracks. I’m sitting in my chair writing with my coat on. Ross's Mom died yesterday, and Berry and I had to tell him. He just sat and sobbed. We hugged him and cried with him. I think he is going home today on emergency leave to attend the funeral.

January 25, 2005
Taji, Iraq

It is sunny today and pretty warm which feels good. Last night was in the 30’s and we still have no heat. I’m sitting outside in the sun right now. One of my guys [name withheld] never gets any mail. Maybe you could see if anyone drew his name or just write him a letter. Don’t say to him that I said he doesn’t get mail. Also [name withheld] didn’t get a package when Terri sent the box. See if someone would adopt him also. His name should be on the same roster as the others. I don’t know his first name. I hate it when people don’t get any mail. [Name withheld] doesn’t get much mail either. I think I’ve only seen him get one letter since we’ve been here.

January 26, 2005
Taji, Iraq

We are locked in for 5 days until after the elections. If we go outside our barracks we have to wear “full battle rattle.” I guess I’ll just stay indoors for 5 days. I guess they figure the danger is a little greater during the elections (my pen keeps skipping).

Anyway, I’m not doing any missions for 5 days, so I hope I will have time to write a few letters. I don’t think we will be getting any mail…(my pen is making me mad! I hate this pen! I will throw it away now!! Die stupid skipping pen! Die!!) OK, I have a new pen now. I don’t like this pen, but at least it’s not skipping! It’s really funny watching these smokers put all their body armor and helmets on just to have a smoke. Oh boy! I just got a big box from Mom and Judy. It has oatmeal raisin cookies and snacks. The guys jumped on the cookies right away. Tell my mom her cookies were the talk of the barracks. PFC Camblin said they were the best he had ever eaten!

Well, will close for now, Your long lost husband, Danny

No comments: