Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Geektopia… Almost

I ordered my MacBook and I'm thrilled. It's loaded, comparable to a Dell notebook I found with the exact same processor and memory and similar features (and fair trade offs also: I get a built-in camera, superior quality, design and support, while the Dell has a larger screen and a superior graphics card for gaming). But the Dell costs $2600 while my Mac is less than $1300 and came with a $75 rebate, no taxes and no shipping fees.

I couldn't be more pleased.

Lots of folks (the ones who don't use Macs) just assume that Macs are a niche product and overly expensive. But I think I saved money for the amount of computer that I'm getting. And I fully expect it to last me 4-6 years with few if any problems. Nevertheless, I was surprised to discover that Consumer Reports agrees. I know that I'm biased, but their last report listed a Mac laptop as the first "quick pick." That's kind of cool.

And it's not like I'm isolated by incompatibility like Mac users were some 15 years ago. I use Microsoft Word, Firefox, Warcraft 3, Powerpoint, Excel, iTunes, etc. while seamlessly networking with Windows computers, printers, cameras and everything else. If you're not convinced, just glance through this page.

I'm one happy Mac geek right now. Except for one thing…

It'll take two weeks to get my laptop because demand is so high. :-(

No comments: