Tuesday, May 16, 2006

My Next Laptop

Hopefully I have finally laid eyes on my next computer.

My current laptop (the original Firewire iBook) is nearing it's sixth birthday. Since it's manufacture I've preached over 500 sermons, had four children, lived in three different homes, read several dozen books, and grown a goatee. The old gray mare has upgraded memory but has never had or needed virus protection software and never had any serious downtime. Though it runs all day every day and is certainly slowing down, it hasn't crashed and needed to restart in well over a year. The screen does have a green line running through it for about four years now, but I don't even notice anymore. The biggest concern is power – not memory or speed but actual electricity. The batteries are all but kaput and the power cord is failing. Soon I won't be able to turn it on without a replacement power cord and adapter that isn't made anymore.

So I've been waiting patiently for a new Macintosh laptop. And today Apple announced the new MacBook. I'm looking at the midrange model and hoping to make this one last four to six years as well (a lot of laptops only last half of that before they become obsolete).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Black or White?

Anonymous said...

The feature that I especially like about the new MacBook is the MagSafe power cord. The power cord is attached to the computer via a magnetic connection that easily comes apart if someone (say a 3-year old boy, for example) trips over the cord.

I say this as I'm getting ready to ship my computer away to Columbus, GA for a few days this week to be fixed because the power cord connection on my computer is so loose that it has to be connected PERFECTLY in order for my computer battery to charge. This is due to people tripping over my power cord and damaging my power cord port! Oh, if only I had a MacBook! I wouldn't have to be without my computer for the rest of the week!!!

I like the black one...

Thumper said...

I prefer the white one. The black model is the most expensive – I like the middle range one.