Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Ultimate Sacrifice

This memorial day weekend I was wondering if any ancestor of mine ever made the ultimate sacrifice for his country.

The Altic family does not have a long history of military service (that I know of). For years, my ancestors were Mennonite (kind of like the Amish), and thus mostly pacifist. However my uncle was in Vietnam and his son (my cousin) was in the first Gulf War. But other than that I'm not aware of any significant military service, let alone any risk of combat, in my family line.

Internet searches for more distant relatives show a small return for Altic, Altice, and Altig family members who are registered with the Nationial Cemetary Administration's Grave Locator. This includes veterans of World War 2, Korea, and Vietnam, all of whom survived wartime service, including a Confederate Civil War soldier, George Altic, who lived until 1931 (75 years ago next week).

ALTIC, GEORGE E
CONFEDERATE STATES ARMY
DATE OF BIRTH: 08/07/1847
DATE OF DEATH: 06/06/1931
BURIED AT:
GREENLAWN CEMETERY
4569 N MEXICO RD PERU, IN 46970
(765) 985-3261


So there have been a few Altic's who have served over the years but none that have been killed in combat. But I did find this grave marker from World War 1 in Indiana.



As in most wars, it's more likely Russell died of disease than hostile fire (of note is the innocuous phrase "Died in France") but that doesn't diminish the sacrifice he and his family made. I also found a court document that awards a pension to Temperance Altic, the widow of Abram Altic, a Civil War Veteran from Franklyn County, Virginia, who was wounded in the War. [I'll try to post that document later.]

No comments: