Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Lines Worn Bad

I'm about 230 pages into The Da Vinci Code.

Ugh.

I was asked to do a seminar on the topic at another church on May 14. I'm a history nut with a degree in theology, so I feel well informed on this kind of thing, but I hadn't read the novel. Well, once I was asked to do the seminar and my Elders then asked me to preach on the topic, my only choice was to read the rag that created all the hubub.

My initial impressions?
  • I'm glad I borrowed a copy. I wouldn't want to have paid $24.95 for something this lite.
  • I don't think most people realize the book advocates goddess worship.
  • It smacks of smug liberalism. Anybody sophisticated and elite is not a Christian, while all the Christians are either simple (the brainwashed) or sinister (the brainwashers). No one could possibly be a sincere and informed believer because Christianity is just a big chauvinist scam.
  • The short chapters (some don't even take an entire page) are a gimmick that I liked at first but now I'm getting irritated. It's almost guaranteed that any question that gets asked won't get answered for another three chapters: "Cream or sugar?" *end of chapter* (Three chapters later) "Should I ask for sugar?" *end of chapter* (Two chapters later) "Cream!"
  • Page one is a "Fact" page that contains almost no facts. It goes down hill from there.
I'll write more when I finish this thing and do some more research.


A big shiny nickel to whomever can explain the title of this post.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I'm REALLY close to the right answer on this posts' title. Let me know if I win the big shiny nickel. I emailed you my guess so no one else would get any hints.

Thumper said...

No, but you're on the right track (which is surprising since you haven't read the book). Keep trying!

Thumper said...

It's not really that jumbled.