Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Random Thoughts 7/15/08

  • Have you seen the videos from Forefront Christian Church about their small groups program? They call them "Gel Groups" and have modeled the commercials after the Geico insurance commercials. Pretty funny! Some of Forefront's video promos and announcements can be a little off-color but I love their video promoting the change from two services to one.
  • Here's more info on that new, high tech, Russian fighter, the Su-35. It's not the only high tech Russian weapon that is supposedly on the horizon. The Russians are also touting the T-95 main battle tank, or something like it, a super advanced mystery tank supposedly superior to anything else out there. Hmm… we'll see.
  • Check out this article on homeschooling! The data is in: homeschooled kids score higher on all kinds of tests and grow up to be more civic-minded and well-rounded adults that have more success in college. The article notes parents' interest in providing "a better academic education, a safer environment, or a stronger set of moral values." Homeschooling is not for everyone but it's not the fringe, aberrant, anti-social behavior some people make it out to be.
  • Don't forget to keep up with our favorite flying missionaries.
  • I've fixed the "blog roll" in my sidebar. It should work now. I think. Some of these deserve a disclaimer: I'm not responsible for nor do I endorse the content of the these sites (but I'd stand by 99% of it).
  • Check out the picture of the new decor at church. We had a couple ladies up on scaffolding for several hours putting that up. You can't tell in the picture, but that's about fifteen to twenty-five feet up in the air.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to disagree that studies show that homeschooled children score higher overall, but I do think that there are some other factors there. If someone is choosing to homeschool their child it shows that the parent is obviously very involved and concerned about the child's wellbeing and education. It's the same type of parent who has their child in public education whose child is thriving and excelling just as well. A lot of the lower scores come from the child with a different or opposite type of parent. When you throw them into the average, of course your overall scores are going to be lower. I do know that it is a very scary thing to expose my child to the potential dangers of a public school. But, I do know that if I continue to raise my child to walk with the Lord, He will protect them. One has to keep in mind that it's not just my child being exposed to public education, it's all of those children and teachers being exposed to my child. I think the public education system could use a lot more children like that.

Erin T.