Monday, July 21, 2008

Random Thoughts 7/21/08

  • Today was the second time in five weeks that I've had a monstrously awful sick-headache. I start getting a headache while I'm sleeping during the night and by morning I'm so ill I can't function. It seems to be the perfect storm between allergies/sinus pain, severe fatigue, a sore neck, and carsickness. The first time was the second day at camp this year while I was the dean (thank the Lord for capable friends while I was down for half a day).
  • Bad news: Ebert and Roeper at the Movies (formerly Siskel and Ebert) is being taken in another direction by Disney. In other words, they're firing Roger Ebert and changing the show into an Entertainment Tonight kind of a show. Ebert hasn't been on the show for a few years because of a surgery that left him unable to speak, but I watched it every week. Yet I was watching for the movie reviews – I have no interest in yet another Hollywood gossip show.
  • Now is a good time to re-read Tony Snow's essay from last year, "Cancer's Unexpected Blessings." It was published in Christianity Today.
  • I saw the new Batman movie, The Dark Knight, on opening night last week. Wow, that's an impressive movie. If Heath Ledger doesn't win Best Supporting Actor, the movie should at least be nominated for a best writing. It's a dark movie for sure, but the quality of the acting and writing is surprisingly adept for a "comic book" movie.
  • The boys are eating root beer floats as I write this. What a joy it is to watch these little critters spooning mouthfuls of happiness. They live a charmed life for sure.
  • Speaking of treats, Graham (two) calls a cookie a"bookie." He'll march around the house demanding his bookie like a drunk gambler with money to spend. He's hilarious.

No comments: