Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Random Thoughts 7/9/08

  • Congress has a new all-time record low approval rating of only 9%. Impressive. Way to go Nancy.
  • Here's a video of one of Russia's advanced fighters, the latest version of the Su-35. It does some impressive slow speed maneuvering that will impress airshow buffs.
  • The Iraqi Prime Minister has announced that the terrorists have been defeated! The Iraqis are leading the final purge of Al-Qaeda in Iraq. Why didn't that make the news last week? Read this short blog post for more.
  • I've been working on classic movies for the last year or so and I've discovered some fantastic new genres that I've not had that much exposure to. Silent movies of all types were new to me until a year ago, now I've seen probably half a dozen with more waiting in the queue. I've also watched more classic westerns in the last year, lots of John Wayne, Gary Cooper, and Clint Eastwood. I've seen almost every Hitchcock feature ever made and I'm working through some fantastic old romantic comedies. I've also seen some great film noir, such as The Maltese Falcon (1941), Sunset Boulevard (1950), Double Indemnity (1944), and Gaslight (1944) among others, all of which I've seen in the last year. Come to think of it, that's a lot of cynical private-eyes narrating about the "dame" they can't trust but can't stop thinking about…
  • Is the polar ice melting? Apparently not. The total amount of ice in the Arctic: 10.9 million square kilometers, the same as 30 years ago. In the Antarctic? A 21% increase in ice over figures from 1980. Follow the link for satellite photos and more info. Meanwhile, here in Kansas we're having our third mild Summer in a row (it's 81ยบ today on a July afternoon). In fact, this was probably the coolest 4th of July I can remember.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have to question the accuracy of the satellite images for the polar ice caps. If you look at both of them they are identical. This is hard for me to believe that there has not be any change in the shape of the polar ice caps in 20 years. Check out the following sites for other comparisons.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/NasaNews/2005/2005092820527.html

http://www.everybodysweather.com/Static_Media/Polar_Ice_Cap_Melter/index.htm


David T.

Anonymous said...

Here is another site that has some high res images to look at. Make sure you check out the graphs at the bottom of the page that has comparisons for the entire year from 1980 to 2004.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/news/topstory/2005/arcticice_decline.html

Anonymous said...

I will have to apologize because I was not looking at the images correctly. However, I still question the accuracy of the images when you compare them to what NASA released.

David T.

Thumper said...

No problem. But unfortunately NASA is by no means immune to partisanship on the issue of global warming. NASA has a vested interest in studying global warming and thus a vested interest in global warming concern, politically speaking. Also some of the biggest global warming nuts are NASA bureaucrats/scientists.