Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Cpl Alvin York

90 years ago today "Sergeant York" performed an act of bravery and heroism. Alvin York is an interesting American whose story was made into one of my favorite movies.

"And those machine guns were spitting fire and cutting down the undergrowth all around me something awful. And the Germans were yelling orders. You never heard such a racket in all of your life. I didn't have time to dodge behind a tree or dive into the brush… As soon as the machine guns opened fire on me, I began to exchange shots with them. There were over thirty of them in continuous action, and all I could do was touch the Germans off just as fast as I could. I was sharp shooting… All the time I kept yelling at them to come down. I didn't want to kill any more than I had to. But it was they or I. And I was giving them the best I had."


York shot and killed 28 German soldiers which forced the surrender of 132 Germans with 32 machine guns.

No comments: