Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Gaming, Part 2

I've been playing a lot of video games this week, both on my own and with the kids. In fact, playing games has been my main stress-reliever this week. Here's what I learned.

  • I missed playing games. In a typical day I don't normally play video games. Before the Wii, I'd go months without playing any kind of video game. Since the Wii, it's weekly but not daily. I really had a lot of fun this week, playing every day. Especially with Brennan and Tanner.
  • Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. For a big Star Wars fan, the story was worth it. How does the Rebel Alliance begin? This game tells that story. But as a game? Yuck. The game play had some design"issues" bordering on broken mechanics and the graphics were way below average. Thank goodness I rented it; I got my $7 worth and that's it.
  • We need to send our Wii wrist straps and remote skins through the dish washer periodically. Eww.
  • The Wii balance board and the games it uses, like Wii Fit, are fantastic. But they only allow one player at a time, naturally, and that's too bad. My kids do a lot of sitting around waiting for their turn when we play Wii Fit. I'm looking at Skate It, which come out next month, but taking turns at the virtual skateboard park will be a big turn off for my group of boys. Real skateboards might cause less pain.
  • I like puzzles. I've really enjoyed the Wiiware version of Toki Tori and I'm looking forward to World of Goo, which comes to Wiiware and PC next Monday. Shannon and I both are still waiting for Tetris Party as well, which hopefully will be available this month.
  • We have been using Energizer Rechargeable batteries in our Wii remotes and now in our balance board. They're expensive at first, but I can't imagine a better set up. They last a few weeks per charge (depending on usage); we swap out the old ones for freshly recharged ones and keep playing. They've already lasted us almost a year with no problems at all.

No comments: