Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Halloween = Extortion

Halloween is all about extortion.

Am I talking about trick or treating? The time-honored tradition where children learn about organized crime by threatening vandalism in their own neighborhood and are then paid "protection money" in the form of candy?

No.

I'm talking about parents under the pressure to buy Halloween costumes at $50 to $200 a pop. Only bad parents fail to dress up their kids in cute and clever ways. But may Heaven help you if Junior wants to dress up as his favorite cartoon character. Even second-hand, a "nice," i.e. name-brand, costume can cost a small fortune.


So most parents are left with the homemade option. We're thinking about Brennan being dressed as a mad scientist. He already has the goggles; we're looking for rubber gloves and a lab coat or something similar.

We're not sure about the younger kids yet. Any ideas?

2 comments:

Alisa said...

Hey I think I still have a really cute dinosaur costume if you guys want to use it. I'm sure it would fit one of your boys. Britt actually wore it when she was about 5 I think and it was big on her (no it's not girly at all). My boys are more into the pirate (so far 3 years for Corban and 2 for Josiah) or cowboy thing so I don't think we will ever use it.
Alisa

Thumper said...

We're all about borrowing hand-me-downs! Talk to Shannon; a dinosaur might work just fine!