Thursday, October 02, 2008

VP Debate

First impressions:
  • Neither candidate is doing as well as they ought to.
  • Palin probably did much better than most people expected.
  • If this were a boxing match, it was a split decision from the judges, 2-1 Palin. Not a knockout but not an outright victory. Which is interesting, in the two debates so far, McCain and Palin just edged out their opponents but may fail to convert those slim victories into campaign traction.
  • Biden is hard to follow. He sounds like he's reading a phone book.
  • Both candidates desperately needed simple, clear illustrations. Palin's "ask a parent on a soccer field sideline" was one of the few for either candidate in 90 minutes. I desperately needed Palin to say, "my opponent is desperate to tax your employer to the point you'll get laid off."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you really feel Palin won? I think she did a good job and definetly spoke to there audience, however; I don't think she got any new voters on there side. I thought Biden won the debate and I am on the McCain/Palin bandwagon. Just curious is all!!

Chad

Thumper said...

Yeah, I think she won based on low expectations of her and a philosophical difference I have with Biden. Even if Biden gave an answer well, it was still the wrong answer. I jumped out of my chair when he misinterpreted the constitution and he makes me twist with agony as he re-invents his support for Obama and other positions.

Argh.