Tuesday, January 13, 2009

How Can They Tell That I'm Irish?

I've always joked that I can understand interracial marriage because I married an Irish girl. The fact that I have German and English heritage has absolutely no impact whatsoever on my family's daily life, but… have you ever paid attention on St. Patrick's day? It's like a cult, I'm telling you! And my mother-in-law is their leader.

I should probably save this for March but here's a brief list of Irish history and humor:

  • The Simpsons go to a St. Patrick's Day parade: "…such a pleasant St. Patrick's day until the Irish showed up."
  • Here's some actual history on St. Patrick, the Christian missionary.
  • This is really neat (and funny): An authentic 1910 recording of a Vaudeville song: How can they tell that I'm Irish?
  • Conan O'Brien goes to Ireland, part 1 and part 2.
  • Perhaps the most interesting history book I've ever read even though I received it unexpectedly as a gift: How the Irish Saved Civilization by Thomas Cahill.
  • Facts: There are more people who claim Irish heritage in New York City than in Dublin. There are more than 80 million Irish people living in other countries (about half in the U.S.) but less than 6 million in Ireland itself.

Disclaimer: I may not be Irish, but some of my best friends are Irish.

1 comment:

The mother-in-law said...

Top 'O the mornin' to ya! Just happened on to this reading some of your older blogs...laughed out loud! Thank you for the comment. I take it as a very flattering remark...makes me proud! Smile.