Monday, January 19, 2009

Random Inaugural Thoughts 1/19/09

  • Barack Obama will be the 44th President. John Kerry was almost the 44th president. If Dole had won in '96 the 44th president would have come in 2000 or 2004 at the latest.
  • Forty-four has always been my favorite number; it was my jersey number in football and basketball through Jr. High and Highschool. It's too bad the 44th president won't be one I voted for but that's okay. It's just great to see the oft-neglected number get some love.
  • There's precious few 44's in sports history. The 23's and 32's make fun of it at parties.
  • The Arizona Cardinals are in the Super Bowl. Wow, that's hard to process. But now that they're there, I'd rather the Cardinals win their first Super Bowl than the Steelers win their sixth.
  • Great article on global warming cooling here. We need to pray for global warming before we freeze to death. It also wouldn't hurt to read up on ice ages, or glacial periods, and the fact that we're still seeing some of the colder weather ever experienced on the planet.
  • If this is KU's "down year," then I'm okay with that. I know that means almost no chance at a Final Four and probably no Big 12 championship this year (KU has won two-thirds of the championships and half of the Big 12 tournaments) but if you lower your expectations, there's still a lot for Jayhawk fans to enjoy.
  • The Wikipedia page for this year's Jayhawks team has lots of info. Check it out.
  • I used an Eric Clapton song in church yesterday. I'm guessing this doesn't happen frequently, at least not in the type of churhes I go to.

No comments: