Thursday, June 17, 2010

Random Thoughts 6/17/10

  • Take note: the New York Times has an excellent photo essay about an Army medevac helicopter crew in Afghanistan. May God bless them.
  • The new iOS 4 comes out next Monday for the iPhone. I'm needing this update something fierce.
  • I'm really enjoying a new book I picked up, Why We Love the Church, by Kevin DeYoung and Ted Kluck. It's really good.
  • The F-35B became the first STOVL (short take-off, vertical landing) aircraft to break the sound barrier last week. The costs of these aircraft are quickly becoming unaffordable but the technology involved is geek-tastic.
  • The military is still especially stingy with the Medal of Honor, says Stars and Stripes.
  • For all the buzz about the World Cup… it's still just soccer. We Americans try to get excited but, well, you know.
  • I'm looking at upgrading this laptop, probably this year. But I'm at the stage now where I'm getting creative in how to lengthen the lifespan of my current machine. I've never been so dedicated to backing-up and controlling climate and watching the wear and tear I would otherwise put on a laptop.
  • The NFL is talking again about increasing the season from 16 games to 18. Why? For more money of course. But those two extra games would also bring more injuries. I hope they don't do it. I'd like to see them keep the games played at 16 but add a bye week, so that those 16 games are played over 18 weeks. An extra bye would help injured players, I'd think.

No comments: