Sunday, February 12, 2006

1st Anniversary

How the time flies.

In mid-February 2005 I began blogging with a few simple goals in mind:
  • Learn more about web publishing and the internet in general.
  • Discipline myself to write regularly.
  • Improve communication to friends and family.
Why? Well, I want to know how the internet can be used for ministry. If there is an opportunity for me as a minister or for the church I want to be web-savvy. I also feel like it redeems the medium a bit. There's so much spiritual polution out there, it feels right to be a counter-weight.

I also want to be in the habit of putting pen to paper on a routine basis. The only way to be a successful writer is to overcome the resistance of procrastination and be diligent. I really feel that the Lord will have me write a book or two during my time here so I better start practicing now.

I also want to communicate with those I love. I detest the phone and it's difficult with a young family to make a roadtrip, but this medium allows us to stay in touch. Surprisingly, writing out my thoughts and feelings has brought me closer to those I see everyday as well as those far away.

After a while I realized that the greatest value of this blog is that my four boys will know what kind of man I am, even if something happened to me. I'll have opportunity to speak to them for decades to come and that means a lot to me. This world doesn't offer a lot of positive guidance for young men.

Since blogging has gone well so far, I'll continue for the foreseeable future. So for whatever reason you come to read this, thanks for dropping by.

And boys, stop fighting and listen to your mother!

Stats for Year 1: 379 posts, 7550 hits, averaging 900 hits/month over the last quarter.

No comments: