Friday, February 09, 2007

Brennan's First Game

Brennan (6) played his first game of touch football yesterday. He and I were outside working in the garage (yes, you read that correctly) and I saw six or seven of the neighborhood kids playing football in the yard across the street.

Knowing that Brennan doesn't really know anything about football but loves to be around other kids, I asked if he wanted to play. He said yes but looked mortified at the notion of approaching them. So I interrupted the game and asked if Brennan could play. The kids, Brennan's age and a little older, said sure and Brennan jumped right in.

His first play they handed the ball to him and yelled "Run!" Brennan ran to the sideline and threw the ball five yards down field, incomplete. Anticlimactic sure, but that's okay. He beamed with excitement as he rushed the quarterback and chased the kick returner. It's just a big game of tag, really, and he loved it.

Unfortunately it was getting dark and at 20ยบ too cold to play for long. Between plays he would wave to me with a big smile yet complain about how cold he was, but he complained more when it was time to leave.

Brennan still doesn't know what the quarterback is or how to catch the ball. Which is funny, considering what a football geek I am.

But I thought he played great.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know a couple of uncles who are very, very proud!!!