Monday, February 26, 2007

Random Conference Thoughts, Day 1

  • Shannon and I had a beautiful drive down memory lane, or rather to Joplin. What a pleasant afternoon! We chatted about our first years of marriage and college life in general, like entry level jobs and friends dating each other. We are so endeared toward Joplin but we're convinced that Kansas City is the place to be. KCK is home and we like it that way. I'd like to visit Joplin more often (like when I have sons attending OCC) but visiting will do.
  • The campus has changed so much since our last visit (when did Bryan C. get married?) We love the new student center and bookstore and the cafeteria is so much better (but is the food?) than when we were students here in the late '90s.
  • We saw Diana R., the mail lady, in her new campus post office. What an improvement over when I worked for her. I'm so happy for her; most people have no idea what a valuable part of the college she is.
  • We saw several people here from back home including a guy that went to my home church that I've not seen in at least 10 years. Weird! I'm keeping a list of people that we've run into. "Mom" Sampson asked how old our "boy" was and we responded, "Which one? We have four!" She curled a lip and said, "You haven't been gone [from Rushville] that long."
  • I'm really hoping to see Joshua F. and his wife while we're down here. He used to be in my youth group and now he's a student here. He's another one I think pretty highly of.
  • The preaching and the worship has been everything we'd hoped for. I've got say though that's pretty awesome to go to a cutting edge, all-star, best of the best convention and walk away saying, "that worship experience is just like back home."
  • We came back to the motel and watched KU beat Oklahoma and played a party game with the Anderson's called Apples to Apples. We're only a few doors down from our good friends, what a treat to be able to share this experience with them. We feel close to a lot of people but the bond of shared ministry (the good and the bad) creates a camaraderie that's hard to describe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was married in 2003. And I was sitting three rows behind the KU's basket. (second half, ou's first half) If you would have been looking, you would have saw your favorite youth group member wearing blue with everyone else around me wearing white! What a game! Enjoy P&T!