Monday, February 05, 2007

Random Super Bowl Commercial Thoughts

I thought this year's Super Bowl ads were better than average. There were several laughs in the first half of the night and my kids really liked a few of them.

  • I'm worn out of the dalmatians and clydesdales. That was 1998 when we saw the two dalmatians that were separated at birth, a commercial to which this year's commercial was really similar. Dalmatians are great but let's take a break for awhile. Maybe we can bring the frogs out of retirement.
  • The crabs worshiping the ice chest was this year's highest rated commercial. My kids didn't get it and I thought it was just kind of funny.
  • The three funniest ads in my opinion were: Blockbuster's rabbit abusing the mouse (Brennan and Tanner's favorite); Bud Light's slapping replacing fist bumping; and Bud Light's rock, paper, scissors. There were several that came close to these three, but slapstick humor had me from the word go.
  • The best ad overall? Coke's parody of the video game Grand Theft Auto in which the main character goes around town doing good. That was as clever as anything I'd seen all night and it was visually appealing. It was really done.
  • The best "Aha" moment of the night, when the message of the ad was communicated in a memorable way, was the GM commercial about the robot that dreams he gets fired from his job. It was funny, it made sense, and it sent a clear message about the company's commitment to quality. But then so does the Chevy minivan sitting in my driveway.
  • The Revlon commercial with Sheryl Crow was the second lowest rated commercial. I was surprised at the time, questioning if this was the ideal audience for Revlon to drop $2.6 million.
  • Go Daddy also had one of the lowest rated commercials and they deserved it for the gutter smut they dredged up. Thankfully my kids had stepped out of the room for a moment.
  • I recognized Charles Barkley and needed help with the other guy. And that goes for Robert Goulet too; how many football fans can recognize Robert Goulet?!
  • I lost my appetite after seeing Snickers' mechanics commercial. By the time the Doritos' check out girl came along was I was done.
  • And finally, I have not and don't intend to ever drink Sierra Mist. Let it go, Pepsi, just let it go.
See and read about the ads here at USAToday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First off, Sierra Mist is good. If you don't enjoy it then you are missing out. Secondly, I felt like this was the worst set of super bowl commercials that i could remember. As always BudLight came through with some funny ones, Career Builder had some good ads, yet; besides those two companies I thought the rest were cheesy and unoriginal. The pepsi/Grand theft auto commercial has been running for months now so that may have been good if I hadn't seen it like 30 times before.